Sunday, September 7, 2008

calling all mums

Ok-- I need some help/advice (I guess I could ask my doctor, but I am to lazy to and well don't really want to make an appointment for something I know you all can answer for me). Benjamin is almost 7 months now, and a hungry, hungry little boy. Currently he is only eating veggies, fruit, rice cereal, a little bit of apple juice and cheerios. At most feedings he will eat a phase 3 jar of veggies or whatever I am feeding him. My question is this: can I start feeding him other kinds of food? If so, what kinds? When do I start giving him bread, chicken, meat, and yogurt, crackers - that kind of stuff? When do I start giving him the food that rob and I eat (obviously purred of course). I just feel like this boy needs more food, or more variety... but am I wrong. I would love anyone’s advice. thanks!javascript:void(0)

12 comments:

Melissa said...

First, you need to check if allergies run in your family. If it doesn't, you just need to introduce one thing at a time, basically in this order. . .veggies, fruits, grains, and meat. I usually would give Michelle a new food every 3-4 days and just keep a watch on her poop and any diarrhea, or other allergy effects. Once she got close to a year, we weren't as careful but I usually took a mental note of any new foods that day in case she had a weird diaper.

Alot of moms though don't care and they just give their kids whatever and whenever. I just didn't want her to have an allergic reaction and not know what food did it. I hope this helps! Lastly, we didn't really give juice until recently and even then. . .just water it down (it's too sugary in my opinion).

heidi said...

i learned much about child feeding habits with my second child. with reagan i didn't try very hard to get him to try a variety of foods, so as a result he is a very picky eater. with scarlett, i was so busy with two, i didn't have time as much to feed, so when scarlett seemed interested in something that we were eating, i just gave it to her cut into little bits. she took to adult food like a fish to water. i pureed a few things, and i mixed a lot solids with baby food. but she got so good at chewing and manuevering the food around her mouth that lumpier solids were no problem. and she didn't have teeth until she was a year old and even then she was eating crackers and bread and chicken. she hasn't looked back since and she will eat anything. the last time she ate "baby" food was around 8 months. so, don't be afraid, just be watchful. i did avoid giving her fruits too often, just so that she would acquire a taste for veggies. and i water down all her juices. the end. good luck.

Sara and Dustin said...

Wow, they gave you great advice. I just want to tell you to not be afraid of feeding him whatever he's interested in - and whatever you want to feed him! I have heard of avoiding fruits at first so he doesn't aquire the taste for sweets. You'll do a great job and congrats on having a good eater! We still struggle to get Anna to eat well.

Jules said...

www.babycenter.com is an excellent resource that I turn to all the time. Hope you're all well!

Melynda said...

I can't say that I have any advice...because I have no idea, BUT I did want to say that I LOVE your new blog!!!! LOVE the background and colors and everything...good job Laura. And I scrolled down and saw some new pics I had not seen...He is getting so big and is such a cute little boy! Love that he is a big eater...I bet you are loving this stage! So wish I could meet him! How are you?

Rosie said...

#1) make sure to add foods one at a time (single ingredient or only one new ingredient inthe mix) so that you can moniter for allergies.

#2) Most of his nutirional needs are going to continue to be met though breast milk or formula until 1 year. Food right now is mostly about experiencing new things.

#3) if you think he's ready for it, go for it! For Allison she ate (and still eats) yogurt, cheese, small diced soft fruits (Bananas are a natural), thawed frozen peas are great... grahm crackers are good... nice and soft, easy to mash. Beans are a good thing... small bits of chicken or meats (Allison didn't like it until closer to a year). Try anything. Part of having a good eater will be introducing lost of variety now. Oh, and another tip I got from our pediatrician... consider the variety Ben gets over a week, not a day. That will give you a better idea if he's getting enough nutirtion from enough different areas. Good luck!

Whitney said...

K this has nothing to do with this post. But I just came to your actual blog. (I usually read it in my google reader) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of it! It is so cute! I just had to tell you that!

Kelly said...

I really like what Rosie said (although I don't know who that is). Especially number 2.
I just want to add that you actually aren't supposed to do other dairy products until 12 months old though. They will most likely develop an allergy.
Chicken and other vegetables though, totally fine as long as they're small enough bites to not choke. Benjamin doesn't have to have teeth in the back to naw chicken. I was always amazed at that. They can totally do it. You'll probably be amazed at how quickly he can go from purreed foods to not at all purreed foods between now and his birthday. Introducing the fruits and vegetables one at a time is best , wait like 3 days or so before introducing a new one, to see if he has an allergy.

Also, if he doesn't like something, don't give up b/c chances are he just has to get used to it. Doctors say to make lots of attempts with the same foods over time and they'll develop a liking to it. Its important if he doesn't like any fruits or any vegetables (my kids hated all fruits) to not give up with them.

Good luck! You're a good mom! and so cute!

Kelly said...

One more thing.... my kids loved frozen peas when they were teething. They're so cold it feels really good on their gums and they're healthy and they're so tiny!

Rosie said...

Hey, question... did you go back to teaching this year or are you getting to stay home with Little Ben? Lorraine was wondering (well, me too, but she was asking about you today).

Mila Amorim said...

Hi Laura! Well, I am not here to give you any advices about Ben's food... =) I haven't left a message in a long time... I actually hadn't come here for a while... so, it was nice to read the news! That's cool that you went visit your family... you and your sister are so pretty, and your nephews are really cute!
Ben is getting big and cute too!
Is Rob working on his thesis already? What is he writing about?
We miss you!!

Brittany Collier said...

you guys still alive?