Monday, July 4, 2011

Adventures in Fargo






June 18th-29th
While Rob was in Vietnam, We decided that I would go up to Fargo, North Dakota, to visit my sister and her family.

The kids and I left on Saturday morning. We took a direct flight into Minneapolis, Minnesota. I was little nervous to fly by myself with the kids, especially when I didn't know where I was going. Overall, the trip was a success! The kids were pretty good, and since it was a direct flight, that made it so much easier. Once we landed, I got our rental car and we were on the road. I made the four hour drive to fargo 3hours. We made it there in a bout 3 hours. I might have been going a bit over the speed limit...






my sad attempt of trying to take a picture of the scenery...

The drive was beautiful! Rolling, lush hills. Lakes and tress everywhere. There were little towns along the way, with little old churches within. Living in Houston, you don't really see nature like this. I had forgotten how much I missed nature, and my homeland Canada. For some reason, Fargo reminded me a lot of home. Maybe because there are parries, and the same foliage as Canada. The summer weather reminded me of Canadian summer. It was perfect. I feel like during the summer, we live inside all day long. I don't feel like venturing out in the 101 plus weather, strapping my kids in a hot car, to drive to a park. SO, being in fargo, sitting on the front step, enjoying the cool summer weather was refreshing. I was in heaven!


We had so much fun visiting my sister. I just love my sister! Everyone should have an older sister! We are so much alike-- our voice's are almost exactly the same and we have the same mannerism. There were even some days when we dressed the same, which was totally unplanned! We are both nerds, however, I must say my sister is definitely the more nerdy one :)

I admire my sister. She is such a intelligent, beautiful individual. She amazes me in so many ways. She works so hard at being a wonderful wife, mother and writer!!! I am also secretly hoping some day she will dedicate one of her books to me.

It was fun for our kids to get together! Benjamin maybe see's Joshua and Whitney once a year. So, it was a treat to be around them for 11 days!
Benjamin loved playing with his cousins. Benjamin is a bit older now, so it was fun to see him and whitney play pretend. They both have vivid imaginations. Whitney and Benjamin have a very hot and cold relationship. Maybe because they are similar in a lot of ways. One min they would be holding hands and the other giving each other long hard stares of annoyance.



Either they were best friends, or worst enemies...




Whitney is definitely the party girl! Can't you tell? If you are looking for someone to plan your next venue, give her a call. Don't let this 6 year old fool you, she has quite the knowledge base and resources for planning the ultimate party! (I've seen her notes,sketches, and menus)



The two of them playing "butterflies." As much as I would like to say, Benjamin was roped into this game... I would be lying. I think enjoyed himself.




Whitney and Benjamin with their paper-made lizards (it was a project I helped them with)



Vera looks a little unloved in this picture... don't be fooled though.
Joshua loved Vera. He even asked to feed her, and would often give her kisses! Joshua and I had a running joke about "alphabet soup." I love that kid! He is really quite funny! I love that he loves to sing, especially primary songs! He's quite the little singer!





Fun on the Trampoline was a daily activity!





Vera loved watching the kids on the trampoline, partly because she wanted to be out there with them!
















Baskin Robbins!









My Real Birthday Celebration!


Sarah and checked out downtown fargo and the local art shops! For my birthday they bought me an awesome oil stick that I am excited to try out in some of my painting! Later that evening, Sarah and Steve took us to a little Mexican restaurant for my birthday dinner, and then we came home for cake! Sarah made me this divine chocolate cake. It was a fun day!


Out for dinner



the cake was divine!


TO SUM IT UP: Sarah and I had so much fun! We worked super hard, finishing up projects but we also played super hard! It was very much a successful trip!!! And we all still love each other so that's always nice, especially after a long visit.

Thanks again Becks! Thanks steve for putting up with me:)





*How is it that I went the entire trip without taking a picture of me and my sister!?!?!
I also apologize for the the iphone pictures.

2 comments:

Sarah Beck said...

Yay for sisters! it was fun having you here. You really need to move to ND. Thanks for all of the organizing tips, the coffee table staining, the babushka laughs and the cossack kick dances :)

Christina Bassi said...

Happy birthday, Laura! I'm glad you had a good one. Your sister sounds super sweet just like you. That was brave of you to travel by yourself with the kids. I am dreading giving that a try. Way to go. Glad every thing went well. I am planning on comeing home in the fall one last time before Japan. Hopefully we can meet up. Is Rob back yet? Why was he in Vietnam? The cruise sounded like a blast. :-)