Thursday, August 11, 2011

the month of July



This is a bit of a binge post... I'm so behind on a lot of things (like vera's first year of life journal...) So, this post is just clumping stuff together, so I don't forget when I am catching up journals.

So here's the month of july:

Single parenting 101






Rob had a awesome work experience come up. He was asked to have a rotation as a rig geologist out in Vietnam. We were told that it would probably be a 2-3 week kind of deal, but with those kinds of projects you never know. He ended up being gone for 33 (from june 13th- july 12th) days. We survived non the less-- threw in a nice little trip to visit my sister, which helped with killing time :) Communication with Rob was a little spotty, since an oil rig isn't really a 4 star hotel. After a while we figured out times when we could skype. Rob would work insane hours. On average I think he would get 4 hours of sleep, especially when the rig was drilling. Rob said that it was kind of crazy, because you are trapped in the middle of the ocean. This Rig didn't have any extra amenities like a work out gym or anything, so rob would walk along the helicopter pad for his daily exercise. Apparently the food was really good. We were glad once he was safe and home and grateful that he got such a neat opportunity!




Anyway, all I can say is kudos to single parents! Things went super well, but I was so exhausted by the time Rob got home!











Happy Anniversary

July 16th was our 6 year anniversary!!!



Its crazy to think that 6 years have flown by! A lot has happened in those 6 years-- and I am just so grateful that I have gotten to share them with my best friend! Since Rob had just gotten home from Nam, we had a bit of a low key date. We went to Harry potter 7, and had dinner at this great Thai restaurant! Thanks for 6 wonderful years babe! I still can't believe how YOUNG we look...







Weight Family Reunion July 21 -29th 2011

On the 21st (Vera's Birthday) we flew from Houston into Great Falls, Montana. Once we got there, we rented a car and drove 3 hours to the motherland. Rob's parents moved from Calgary to Raymond, Alberta, Canada a couple of years ago. So, flying into great falls was such a great idea! It was much faster and cheaper than flying into calgary.




Benjamin and Rob riding the lawn mower. Rob took all the younger kids out for a "drive"

Vera and her Aunt Julie and Aunt Brita

Vera and her cousin Ren. Kiersta got some matching outfits for them to wear. Cute eh?

Cousins: (left to right) Benjamin Weight, Ella Sal, Errson Bailey, Isacc Sal, Faryn Bailey.

Vera downing the coveted Tigers eye ice cream-- only in canada!



All I can say is that I miss southern Alberta! The sky is so clear, and the fields are beautiful! I think both Rob and I realized how much we do miss Canada. Maybe someday we will move back!



Vera and Benjamin having fun with cousin Errson and Faryn!


Mom and Vera!



The Thibodeau’s
While we were up in Canada, we were also able to visit with my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins Mark and Jackie. This was the first time they met Vera. Vera was interested in their dog Sam, however, she didn’t want to be to close to him. During one of our visits with them, Sam was trying to sniff and follow Vera around. She did not like this very much at all. Benjamin liked Sam, but at times was also a bit hesitant around him. However, on this night Benjamin came to Vera’s aide. Benjamin would pick Vera up off the floor and run as fast as he could to get her to safety (mom’s arms) and then he himself would jump on the couch to get away. It was pretty cute to watch him save his sister, time and time again



It was a wonderful, well needed vacation with family. As always, with the Weights--- the food was incredible and the company even better!

(wish I had pictures to document this... maybe Auntie J will send some my way?:)
 



Vera's First Birthday July 21st, 2011

Vera celebrated her first birthday in Raymond, Alberta, Canada. We spent most of the day traveling from Houston to Alberta for a Weight family reunion. This was the second time Vera’s been on a plane. She did a great job on the flight. There was another women on the plane who had the same birthday too. At the end of the flight, the stewardess announced it was Vera’s birthday, and everyone cheered and clapped for Vera and the other women. Vera even clapped along! We then drove 3 hours to the border. Once we were there, Grandma Weight had a made a special birthday cake—a spice cake with butterscotch frosting and (homemade) raspberry jam as filling.
Vera and her cake!

Just a glimpse of the birthday crowd


Vera enjoying her cake.



Random/Other things...

Here is a picture of Benjamin and mommy painting out on the porch! Benjamin is becoming quite the Artist!

One Saturday morning while I was painting, Benjamin decided that he wanted to join me. He def got more work done than I did that day!


"The Dolpin"


He even drew a "dolphin" on 3 separatepieces of paper. Pretty good for a little boy who use to hate drawing!





Well, that's basically the month of July. Now, I'm just trying to catch up with other things around the house. Our lease is up in October, so we are looking for a new place to live, so that's eaten a lot of our time, and just getting back into routine of life! Hope this find you all well!
love the Weights

2 comments:

Christina Bassi said...

Glad you guys got Rob back. It is no fun having no husband. It looks like he had a cool experience on the rig. Love the painting picture of you and Ben. So cute. I can't believe he drew that whale. He is following in his mommys footsteps. Vera is one. I can't believe. That was sweet of the flight attendance to sing happy birthday to her. Looks like she had a great birthday with lots of family. Glad you guys had a good month. :-)

Jules said...

Wow, good for you! I know about feeling like a single mom, but usually it's more ongoing with breaks....but wow, totally on your own for over a month....*MY HERO*!!!!!

And wow, six years! Congrats. Although news chica: you still look young and SO beautiful!

I can't believe Vera is ONE! Where did the time go?! Ack!

Miss you!