Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fehe


Our fish Fehe

Introducing the newest member of the weight clan! Our betta fish Fehe. (benjamin named him)
This fish has sure given us a time! its kind funny and sad to think about it. We are not sure if he was having a little bit of sadness leaving his little cup in the aquarium store... but he was a little sucidal.

Day three of owning him, I thought that hisbowl needed a water change, so robert and I decided to change it. While in the process of putting the fish back into his bowl, he decided to jump out and fell into the garbage disposal. Luckily, there was a nice cushion of oatmeal to protect him from the sharp deadly blades. Rob tried to reach his hand in the disposal to get him out, while I ran for a flash light. We knew that he was still alive, because he continued to flop about--- a very good sign. Eventually, after some time, rob grabs him and put him into the water. We were thinking that he might not make it through the night-- but he pulled through it none the less.

Day six: That morning, we (benjamin, rob and I) rushed out the door to take rob to school. Benjamin and I spent the morning at the near by park, I fondly call the toy grave yard. Anyway, as benjamin and I were surmounting the three flights of stairs, Benjamin stubbornly decided that he wanted to walk all by himself. To encourage him to move faster, we talked about the fish. Once we got through the front door, Benjamin runs to the fish bowl and yells "Fehesh! Fehesh!" I look over to the bowl, expecting to see the fish swimming around... only to find it empty. I took a double take. I thought: "where could the fish be?" "Did it die, and rob just didn't tell me?" But then I recalled benjamin and rob feeding the fish that morning-- or maybe rob was pretending to, not to alarm benjamin. Utterly confused I called rob and asked him if the fish had died and had forgotten to tell me. Rob and I concluded that the fish must have jumped out of the bowl. After a few seconds of searching, I found Fehe on the carpet-- very much dead... He was black, limp, and all his fins were stuck together because he had been out of his bowl for so long. The poor fish must have fallen 5 feet to its fate. I told rob that it must be dead, but rob told me to scoop him up and throw him back into the water. I stared at the dead fish floating in the water, and after 30 sec, I started to see his gills move slowly... then he kind of swam . For a while it was very touch and go. He didn't eat of a week, his fins were breaking off, and he couldn't swim at all.

Its kind funny and sad to think about it. But since the accidents, fehe is getting stronger and stronger, and we think he will be with us for a little longer. He is almost fully recovered!

9 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe your fish jumped out of its bowl!

Sarah Beck said...

what a cutie pie (Benjamin of course). I love your fish story. I told it to the Thibodeaus and they thought it was crazy/hilarious

Brittany Collier said...

Those fish always last longer than you expect. I got one for Devin thinking maybe 6 months, but we had to deal with the thing for two years. Good luck!

The Rowes said...

That's a great story that you will enjoy readig about in the future. I had the same goldfish for 4 years. It's crazy how some fish die the day you get them and others live for years. Maybe yours will be with you for many years to come.

Fernando said...

What a crazy fish! I can't believe it's still alive.

Lindsey said...

I'm so impressed that he survived!! What a great story :)

Jules said...

I absolutely cannot believe that! And THIS is why I don't like facebook! You totally don't get that kind of detail on facebook!

I can't believe he lived after that! After being out of the water for so long, and I can't believe he jumped out! I've never heard of that before. WOW!

Katie Kennington said...

That is so sad! I have heard that beta fish like jumping out of their bowls. We never had that problem with our fish. Hope he learned his lesson and does not jump out again.

Susan said...

Wow, I can't believe he is alive. My friend's beta fishes keep dieing. They have been through a few these last few weeks.