Thursday, September 17, 2009

Benjamin: toddler going on teenager.


After a long hard day, I often go peek on my little boy to remind myself of the little angel he really is.


This age is so fun, but also trying at times. I always tell rob--- that I LOVE children.... LOVE them and I am pretty sure that I will have many, but two year olds are the hardest age for me!

Benjamin is such a sweet, active, happy kid. And, like all children, he has his “moments”. His “moments” tend to be saying "No", throwing food, screaming, and hitting. Lovely, I know. Yet I do have hope and I am trying to learn to lower my expectations for a 19 month old. As my dear mother says, most kids become civilized by the time that they are 5. I have to keep that mind when Benjamin is flopping all over the floor at the store because he doesn't want to get into the cart. My favorite is the "public stare". You KNOW what I am talking about--- the one where every eye is upon you because your child suddenly decides to have a melt down. And yet, whenever I see another kid having a melt down, immediately my thoughts are: " Glad it isn't my kid". Sad I know.

Anyway,

The other day, Benjamin was not fond of me changing his diaper. It’s funny, because after 19 months of this ritual, you think that he would be ok with it, but apparently he didn't approve of it and started kicking me continuously. Because this is not an appropriate behavior, I said in a firm voice: “No kick mommy,” gave him the evil eye, that would make any 9th grader cringe, and submit to my command, and a pointer finger, to show my disapproval. In response, Benjamin glares back at me, and points his finger right back at me, and then give me a hearty grin.

I almost died…. This obviously was not the response I was hopping for. I’ll be honest. I for once in my life was at a loss of what to do with a kid. How is it, that I could manage a classroom of 39 Junior high kids in my art classes, ( and let me tell you about the characters I had in my class…. A lot of them were NOT the studious, perfect kids. However, they would be good for me). How is it that I could manage them and I can’t manage my own 19 month old.
I Know that he is in this mimicking stage right now, where he copies everything Rob and I do…. So hopefully he will get it when I try to communicate that something is not ok.
Trying to be like DADDY
The other day, while rob was putting stuff in his hair, Benjamin squirted a little but gel into his hand and wiped it all over his hair. Too cute!

Little Moment of Joy

Today Benjamin and I went to the park and I loved watching him run around dragging his deflated beloved balloon all over the place. It was too cute!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Benjamin sounds like Carlene. When she was two I gave her a puzzle with shapes only to discover she already knew all of the shapes, even the less common ones--all I could figure is she picked it up from Sesame Street since that was the only thing I let her watch! I loved doing "homeschool" with the kids. If you are doing shapes wood tanagrams are great, even if they just hold them and launch them!