Tonight I had my first boot camp class of 2011. Lets just say this new trainer is i-n-t-e-n-s-e. I was thinking that this first class was going to be like all the other first workout of the semester: light warm-up, run a couple laps and see how many push ups, crunches you can get in x amount of time. Nope, this trainer left nothing out of this work out.
Last semester my attendance was a little... spotty. Granted when I started I had just had a baby 6 weeks before (was I crazy??? maybe, but I was so excited to do something physical and you have to start off somewhere eh?) and I also was in and out of lithotripsy "surgery" for kidney stones for most of it. Oh well, such is life. But with that all behind me now I am excited to be a little more dedicated.
Today, while I was at my class I couldn't help think about how much I had taken my health for granted before all this. Between being on full to partial bed-rest for 15weeks(felt like 20) of my pregnancy with Vera and having kidney issues, the combination did a number on me physically-- as in muscle atrophy & energy level. Bed rest had effected my muscle strength and endurance so much that It was very difficult for me to even climb the 3 flights of stairs.
I have always considered myself as having a lot stamina and great endurance--- hence why running was my sport of choice in junior high and high school.I have never ever really had any health issues like this before and It was so eye opening for me, and very humbling.
I am so excited to have the past year behind me health wise and ready to get my health back where it needs to be :) Already I feel a million times better than i did before, however, I have a long, long way to go to get my strength back. I'm excited. Its just made me appreciate the simpler things that I have taken for granted-- like being able to climb the 3 flights of stairs of our apartment without getting out of breath.
Other things:
I will be honest, I am so glad that 2010 is behind us now. I honestly hardly remember most of it, it was such a crazy mess.
Finally I really feel like my life is back. I am loving life with two kids. It sure was an adjustment, but now that Benjamin is older, Vera is older and not waking up every 2-3 hours, life couldn't be better. Benjamin is getting to be at a fun fun stage. He is learning so much, and he truly is a sweet kid. He really tries hard to be obedient and good. Vera is such a doll---she is very patient, and loves to be with us. Every time I go into her room to get her up from a nap she is so excited that her arms and legs flare around. It makes you feel pretty loved when someone is so excited to see you.
For 2011 I have exciting personal goals set now that life is getting back into a wonderful routine. (one of my fav parts of the routine is 6:30pm bedtime)
1. PAINTING I really want to get back into the swing of painting again. I even cleaned off the porch which will become my studio once the weather permits. I have also made a goal to just pump paintings out. I am so excited to get back into painting--- there is something amazing about creating something. For me, its painting. It is so satisfying and enlightening. I really can't explain it, but I truly believe that it is a divine characteristic within us to have the desire and ability to create.
2. STRUCTURED TIME WITH BENJAMIN Benjamin and I have also been enjoying more structured school schedule. He loves it, and everyday he asks me to play "school games." It so rewarding for me as well to see all that he is learning. For Benjamin its been amazing to see how he is gaining self discipline and self control through school time and gymnastics. This semester he has come such a long way from the beginning of sept in gymnastics. He's the youngest one in his class, and he's keeping up and most importantly listening and following directions, which for an active little boy who isn't three yet, can be very difficult.
3. Simplifying my life and really focusing on what matters most. This talk http://lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/of-things-that-matter-most?lang=eng
I have read many times, and it continues to shape me and how I am spending my time. Already I have cut a few things out of my life, and it is amazing how much of a difference it has made!Simplicity is truly a gift!

well, here is to a great new year, and I am excited to see what 2011 will bring!
6 comments:
You are so inspiring to me. Thanks for the little motivation to help kick me in gear. If you can do it with 2 and kidney stones :) I can try a little harder with my one and 1/2 :)
That is a great talk. I'm going to read it again! Glad to hear you are doing so well!
two kids is a huge adjustment! and kidney stones too i can't imagine why you're glad 2010 is over?! i totally agree its a great feeling to create something, i love it.
@ whitney--- you're so nice, I still have yet to do it. Your encouragement means a lot. Btw- so excited that you are having a little girl :) I didn't even know that you were expecting till we got your adorable christmas cards. I am sure once she comes you will have lots of inspiration for beautiful creations. I wish I could sew as well as you! You are amazing at it!
@ carrie-- p.s. you are amazing. I still don't know how you were able to have three kids, be an amazing mom, the wife of the EQP and be the amazing wife of a medical student! But, you did it and well :)
I would love to do that boot camp. I'll have to look & see when another one starts!
Let's hear more about this boot camp. Is it a class at a gym? Sounds awesome. So what do you do with the kids while you are there? That is so much fun that Benjamin does gymnastics. Elsa would love something like that.
I know what you mean about the "school games." Elsa is like that too and I am not very good at always coming up with fun and educational things for her to do. It really is incredible how much these little ones learn and how much they love doing it.
Thanks for always being such a strong example. I cannot wait to see some new paintings of yours.
Post a Comment