Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Any advice for the overly tired.

I was wondering if any of you have advice for someone who is having serious sleeping issues. Since I had my awful sinus infection (a month ago), I have had a hard time sleeping at night. To make it even worse, I get really bad headaches/migraines, which makes it harder to sleep. On top of that, Benjamin was sick last week, and had a very hard time sleeping through the night ect. Which, has added to sleep deprevation and making it hard for me to have restful sleep. Yes, I know that pregnancy makes you tired. However, When I was pregnant with Benjamin, I was a working full time teacher who was teaching elementary art. Every day was a whirlwind of students, projects, cleaning up, getting out new supplies, lessons,bus duty ect. If you have taught school, you know how physically and mentally demanding teaching is. I also commuted 1.5-2 hours a day, ect.

Anyway, I was tired, but I don't remember being this tired, and to be honest? I feel just as exhausted as I did my first year of teaching which equates to feeling like I have been run over by a truck 50 times (granted that was also the year rob had cancer. I seriously thought I had mono that year).
Anyway, I think part of my problem is that I am not getting the right kind of sleep, and haven't for a couple of months now. Any one have suggestions? Thanks.

8 comments:

Sara and Dustin said...

The first trimester is seriously, seriously exhausting. I'm sure the major sleep issues and a sick little one makes the problem much worse. I'm so, so sorry. I don't know how sound my advice is because I don't usually have trouble sleeping, but here it is.

- Accept help from others. You need to rest right now. Don't beat yourself up about it, just get help if you need it.

- Take time before bed to relax. Set yourself up a routine like you would an infant. Shower, warm drink, book, sleep. Maybe it will help your body and mind get ready for the night. I know a shower before bed always helps me sleep better.

I don't know how helpful this is but good luck!! You can get through this, Laura. You're a tough cookie.

Jalei & Lane said...

I always take Tylenol PM or NyQuil & have a fabulous sleep!

Sarah Beck said...

melatonin

Katie Kennington said...

Check your diet. Katie found herself tired easily and more of the right food wouldn't hurt. She lived off of breakfast shakes because they have a lot of vitamins in them and are quick and easy. I would also suggest exercise. You can't really start something big and new now that you are pregnant, but a brisk walk with Benjamin if you don't already do it for 30 minutes will get the blood going, which will also help with the headaches.
-Casey

Katie Kennington said...

Also, exercise will help you sleep better. When I was running 30 mpw, I could get by on 1 or 2 hours less sleep each night and still have lots of energy during the day.

Melanie said...

okay, Laura, I love the advice everyone else gave you.

Coming from someone who has major sleep problems herself, I hope you find something that works! I am so sorry!

Okay, this is what I would say that has helped me a little bit. It might be more than just physical stuff. You could be really having emotional stress too. I like the one where you ask for help. Let us take Benjamin for a day or something. I know that I just about die when the kids are sick and I want to throw something and scream and just cry myself away.
So I have tried lately....go to bed at the same time EVERY NIGHT and get up at the same time. It has to be before 11 at night too or you will be in big trouble. That actually has helped me fall asleep at night because my body knows, "okay, its time to sleep now".
I was sick a week ago and took night time medicine and was SO happy the next day because my sleep was really good. Being pregnant, that might not be an option for you. I wonder if your doc can give you something.

Mainly, don't push yourself!!! Just lay on the floor and play cars with your boy and do nothing else. Break down and call someone for several days to take Benj....you probably need a lot of relaxation time after all of the stress lately.
Okay, enough of my ranting...I really am passionate about this issue because I suffer from it, so I hope you can find something that helps.
We miss you guys and so excited that you are having another baby!!!

Bexie Funk said...

i would take something to help you sleep. and i've never worked but i'm sure that taking care of kids is the most exhausting thing i've ever done!

Jules said...

CONGRATS on the baby girl! You're certainly keeping with the "Fugal girls" family tradition!

And don't worry about the emotional drama queen teenage years....I think that's overrated...I've seen a whole lot more REALLY snotty disrespectful give their parents heck teenage boys. ;) I say they come how they come and we love em. ;)

As far as sleeping, I had really bad insomnia last fall (as well as when Halle was brand new). Mine was mostly related to anxiety, so if your's is at all tied to that, some of this may help you:

Have a night-time schedule that you stick to every night. But I would first suggest changing up what you currently have going on to break "mental ties" with your current problem. ie It helped me when we moved into the addition and out of the room I was having all the problems in. Now when I have a problem, it helps me to get myself out of bed and go sleep on the couch. My anxiety/insomnia seems to stay behind in the old environment. After "changing it up" a little, THEN establish your own bedtime routine.

Next, eat something with protein right before bed: eggs, lunchmeat...or what I did was a glass of warm milk. Protein helps chemically induce sleep.

Go to bed before Rob. Then you're not awake and (what feels like) alone while your husband's peacefully sleeping.

Ask Rob to take care of Ben, and you try to sleep somewhere where you can't hear him if he wakes up. (this doesn't have to be long-term, just enough to get your clock back to normal).

Avoid naps during the day. And try going to bed early, that way if you have a hard time falling asleep, you aren't panicking because it's "so late and I'm not asleep yet."

When you can't sleep at night, don't be afraid to turn the light on (just a lamp and not too bright), and do something. Preferrably something that makes you sleepy....reading Isaiah tends to help. ;) LOL.

If there is something else triggering your insomnia...try to AVOID IT! (Mine was residue from the newborn stage and all of Halle's health problems, and then triggered by trying to go to an early morning spin class that I really wanted to make. In the end I gave it up in combination with doing all these other things to help me sleep.) Find your trigger and address it.

Ask for a priesthood blessing. Even if it's in the middle of the night. Scott has given me the MOST amazing blessings between 1-3am. I have been taught intimate, deep doctrines not even pertaining to my insomnia, but to other aspects of my life. And then in the morning, Scott doesn't even remember giving the blessing. ;) Gotta love worthy vessels: conduits of the spirit.

Good luck sweet girl. Know you're not alone...I know how you feel, I've been through it and it is one of the worst feelings I've ever had to not be able to sleep.

We all got the flu one night, and I was so GRATEFUL that we were all awake and puking instead of just me being awake with insomnia. How twisted is that?! ;) Just life...

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!