Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Monday Night.

Monday night was a little crazy. Everything worked out, but I wanted to write about it anyway for Benjamin's Journal and personal record.


While Rob was giving Benjamin a bath,Benjamin had a seizure. Rob was super quick and pulled him out of the tub. Its amazing that even though Benjamin was underwater for seconds, he still swallowed a ton of water. It makes me sick to think if rob wasn't there. (I mean, you never leave your kid unattended when their having a bath-- but this happened so fast, that even if you just stepped out for a sec, your kid could drown).

Anyway, I called 911 (Just in case if things got worse)and timed the seizure. Usually when he has a seizure, they are a min or less, but this time his was a very long 2mins. We even had a shot ready to give him if it lasted more than 5 mins. Thankfully it was only 2 mins. Its amazing how it doesn't matter how many times you see your kid have a seizure, it still is a horrific sight. Every time he has one I just pray that he will come out ok, and that he won't suffer any brain damage or anything because of lack of Oxygen. Even though I know that it probably is "just" a *febrile seizure , and they usually come out ok.
It took Benjamin a while to come back to, but he eventually did by the time the Medics got there. Rob took Benji's temperature, and it was 98.7. At first Rob and I weren't going to take him in to texas children's ER, but after talking to the medics and our family Dr. we thought we should. Thankfully, we were in and out in record time-- 3hours. They are pretty sure it was another Febrile Seizure, but they weren't positive since his temp was so low. However, Benjamin had a low grade fever the night before and started getting a bit of a cough. Monday morning and afternoon he felt warm to me, and I checked his temp constantly but it was ok. Anyway, thankfully he didn't have another seizure that night, and the following morning we took him in our Pedi.
Sure enough, Benjamin has (yet again) a virus. This kid should get a prize for how often he is sick! We are so lucky though that he is such a trooper about it.
Thankfully this is something that he will grow out why the time he is 7 (only 5 more years of this). :)



*A febrile seizure is a convulsion in young children that may be caused by a sudden spike in body temperature, often from an infection.
Fortunately, febrile seizures aren't as dangerous as they may look. A seizure triggered by a fever is usually harmless and typically doesn't indicate a long-term or ongoing problem.

1 comment:

Jalei & Lane said...

I hate that yall have to go through that over & over. What a nightmare.