Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Memories of Lehi Jr. High






Here are some pictures of some of my students artwork.
I thought that you would all love to see what in the world I do with my students. Big update! I am currently looking for art teaching jobs in houston! Its amazing what summer does to you! And i swore that I was retiring... what can I say-- I think rob is the only person that I know who comes home from his job and says " I LOVE my job!" I like to compare teaching to parenting--- (except that we send the kids home after 8hrs) I highl doubt that a parent says " i love my job-- when:
1) baby spits up on you
2) Child is sick with the runs-- its all over the bathroom floor
3) you are trying to grocery shop... and your children are screaming.
people are staring... and you have an appointment that you need to get to...
and you are trying to mast patience...

of course I am not talking from experience... just from observation..

OF COURSE parenting has its rewards...... you probably see them every day... but... they are there.
Like teaching, parenting is a thankless job-- nobody notices the wonderful, hardwork, and scarafices you make....
So.... teaching has its rewarding moments.... it really does, they are just far and few... and thats ok---- it really is...
because like parenting its probably the most rewarding and influential profession around!

2 comments:

Sarah Beck said...

I love your posts, you really do have some talented kids! I didn't realize you taped their whole bodies, I thought it was just the faces. how did you tape the face w/out ripping off their eyebrows?

Laura Weight said...

laughs-- ummm I only let one student take his face-- I didn't trust my students for fear a student would pass out and I would have a law suit on my hands-- Last year when I did this project my visiting teacher and her hubby came over and we taped their heads, and robs dad to-- its a very hot proccess--- so we taped 20 heads-- this year I stuffed a head we had made before, and i just had my students tape over the "model" head/
Its a cool proccess though--- and my kids LOVED it. Its a very LOUD project wit hall of the packing tape. My kids were VERY well behaved because I threatened that they would have to do book work if any group was messing around!