When I reflect on the past four and a half years of Robs and I marriage, it is amazing to me all that we have experienced in such a short amount of time. Like every couple and individual, we have had our share of trials and what I like to call "defining learning experiences." I never even dreamed that we would have experienced some of the things we did (like rob being diagnoised with thyroid cancer, my first year of teaching, and robs treatments ect., all within the first 11 months of our marriage). For some, our experiences may seem trivial, but for us, at the time, they were very difficult. Nonetheless, when I think back on our experiences, or even just our day to day life, I am amazed and humbled to see how often the hand of the Lord was ever present.He never took away the burden, or the "necessary defining experience," but through tender mercies, made very apparent His love and power in our life--- helping us to be able to overcome, learn and later, cherish these experiences.
In the past few days, I have seen so many tender mercies, and again have felt the Lords power in our lives.
Last wenesday, I took Benjamin to the zoo to meet up with our friends Lucille and Noah. We had a super fun time, but near the end of it I felt that I had maybe over done it a bit, and felt some pelvic pain and pressure. I came home and put benji down for a nap and thought that I should take it easy the rest of the afternoon. Around 3:30, the pain hadn't gotten better, and I thought that I should call my sister in-law if she had ever experienced anything like this. She advised me to call my dr just in case. I called the nurse and talked to her. She seemed unconcered, but told me to rest and call in the morning to see if I was feeling better. Not less than 40 mins, I get a call from the nurse saying that if the pain did not go away after an hour of rest, then I needed to go to the hospial for monitoring. We eventually went to the hospital for monitoring. The checked for dialation, babys heart rate ect. My dr ordered the hospital to do an ultra sound, and then my cervix was measuring 3cm. I didn't know what that meant but It must have been fine since they let me go home. The next morning, I got a call from the nurse saying that my Dr wanted me to come in for another ultrasound. At the appointment, through a trasvangical ultrasound (which is more accurate). It should that I was actually measuring 2.7 cm. She told me that normal measurements can range from3-4 cm. They don't really start to be concerned until it reaches 2.5 cm.(apparently the length can change depending on the day as well). I wasn't dialating or anything, but my dr wanted to monitor me and for me to get a maternity belt to help with support. She also told me to stay off my feet more and cut my activity in half. Originally, she wasn't going to see me for another two weeks, but sensing myconcern, told me to come in next Thursday for another ultrasound. Because we were going to go to Wichita the following week, I had to move my appointment up to that tuesady.
Luckliy, rob had that friday off and was able to take care of everything. I mostly lounged around going crazy. I felt so sick about this whole thing, partly having a friend who had an incompetent cervix and delivered and lost her baby at 23 weeks, makes one worry all the much more. All weekend I was worried sick. I just felt like it was worse than it seemed.
On Tuesday, my ultrasound showed that my cervix was measuring .9cm and funneling (dialating at the top of the cervix). In in 5 days I went
from 2.5cm to .9 cm and funneling. My doctor was completly shocked. I at this point starting crying... I knew all to well what this meant, and it wasn't good. Since was almost 23 weeks, they could still try an emergency cerclage--- a "stich" to basically, hold the baby in. The risks are higher(water breaking during the surgery, bleeding ect) the later they are put in. Really at this point we didn't really have a choice. They were going to try do the surgery either later that afternoon or early the next mornng. I was admitted just in case to be of full bed rest till my sugery in the morning. Later that evening, my dr told me "you and I must be living right or somthing... Because the fact that we caught this." she then told me that if I hadn't come in that we would of probably had the baby at home. That night I, after a blessing, I did a lot of crying. Rob and I had to come up with a name ( just in case she was born), talked with family member and worried all night. The next morning, the surgery went really well. My dr was very pleased. They kept me over night to see bow I did. Now I am home, on complete bed rest. I have an appointment next week to see how everything is doing. We still have a long way ahead of us till we are 30 weeks. We still have to see how the next few days go, there kind of crucial to seeing how my body responds. Thankfully rob has till Monday off because we were supposed to go to whichita ( another tender mercy). I really don' t know how it's all going to workout. I duno if we are in the clear or if this baby is meant to be ours in this life, but I do know that I feel peace and that it is in the Lords hands. What I do know is that there already have been many little miracles and tender mercies. That the Lord does hear our prayers and that there is power in faith. Whatever happens, I know it's the Lords will, and I am so grateful for all that he has done for our little family and baby girl! I have been so humbled by the love and support of our friends and family. Thank- you all!
Please keep us in your prayers
9 comments:
Hang in there! You guys can make it!!! I wish I were close to you and could take little Benjamin. I'm sure Justin would love to have a little friend. We are praying for you!
Laura, we are praying for you and that precious little girl! I would love to take Benjamin for a day to play if you want. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you!
Laura I had no idea! Please let me know if I can do anything. I would love to take Benjamin once or twice a week for a playdate with Dominic. Or if you need help shopping or anything. Please let me know. Hopefully she will be okay. You guys are in our prayers.
I'm so, so grateful you caught the situation early, and that you have a good doctor. You and Rob deserve all the tender mercies you have (and will) received. We'll keep praying for you. Keep us posted!
Thanks for sharing this story. We'll pray and fast for you guys! All the best!
Laura, your faith and trust in the Lord has always amazed us! We will be praying for you!
you are so brave! I would have a complete meltdown! sounds like you have a very good doctor too :)
we love you guys and hope that everything is going to turn out ok. you'll be in our prayers. xo
I just found your blog again and have loved catching up on your cute little family. Good luck with everything.
Laura I'm so glad you checked up with your doctor and that she spent extra time and care with you--that's how it should be! Please rest and take care of yourself! We'll be praying for all of you!
Post a Comment