I thought I'd post some of the websites I use and resources for "school time"
Most of the stuff I do with Benjamin is really just "games" the kind of stuff he would do at a pre-k class during "centers." We do the daily calendar and weather forecast, a little bit of starfall, occasionally an educational movie. Everyday we practice sightwords, numbers and review letters & letter sounds. No more than 20-30 mins and usually when Vera is sleeping. So low key. Throughout the rest of the day we do the activities or center like games/activities.
Anyway, here are some Gems that make school time amazing!
- The dollar store and dollar section in Target is awesome for school tools/workooks
- Costco. Got an awesome Kumon set- 3 workbooks (coloring,tracing,mazes) for 11 bucks. Costco also periodically has other awesome educational workbooks, movies
-http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/
(love this place! Got a sight reading chart for super cheap, and it hangs in our kitchen. You can get a whole bunch of other fun things too!--paint rollers, paints,)
Movies:
Not a huge fan of letting Benjamin watch a ton of movies (just because of the way he acts if he watches to much), but these are excellent!
LEAP FROG: Letter factory (between starfall.com and this B learned his letter sounds in no time), Talking Words Factory, Math Adventure to the moon. * I got these all at costco for 6 bucks a piece*
"Meet the sight words" Preschool Prep company-- A-m-a-z-i-n-g! After watching these a few times, B is eating it up and knows a ton of sight words.
Websites:
my friend who is Pre-k teacher passed a lot of these websites my way, and they have been super helpful. Some are better than others. I would say though my Fav is the http://prekinders.com/ AMazing ideas. Really easy to follow. She even has a lot of templates. I think this one is for sure worth checking out.
http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/.
http://www.pre-kpages.com/,
http://www.thevirtualvine.com/,
http://www.sanchezclass.com/favorite-teacher-websites.htm,
http://prekinders.com/,
http://www.kinderkorner.com/links.html.
http://www.preschoolexpress.com/
Anyway, Now you all know of my Nerdy-ness (and that I LOVE doing this) and why I don't miss teaching school too much. I thought I'd just throw some of this stuff out there just in case if someone is interested. Granted, every kid is different, and learns differently too--- these are just some things that have worked for us!
6 comments:
thanks i need to do a better job with devin. i get too focused on one kid (teaching caroline to read) that i've totally slacked off on teaching him! i'll be referring back to this post in the future!
YAY! Some of Laura's secrets to being an awesome artist and mommy at the same time! Thanks Laura!!!
Thank you for posting this. You (and Katie too) are AMAZING moms and are great at doing school time.
JJ is OBSESSED with letters right now. He knows almost half the alphabet (before his 2nd birthday) he AMAZES me. I'm really going to have to look into the leap frog movie. He really likes to watch Super Why on PBS. (Im bad and let him watch too much TV because its the only time hes not running around crazy and I need a break) I need to jump on this interest and teach him more while he is excited about it.
Definitely have this post bookmarked. Thanks Again!
I just ordered Letter Factory & can't wait to pick it up!
@ carrie-- u know that Devin is TOTALLY picking stuff up from watching caroline! Kudos to you for teaching her to read!
Wow, he is doing awesome. It is amazing how much they can learn so early. I hope you don't mind but I have to recommend a book to you. This book has been a life changer for me. It is Susan Wise Bauer's The Well Trained Mind (the last edition). It is an amazing resourse guide for pre-k all the way through 12 grade.
Post a Comment