Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Benjamin's Birthday!






Benjamin turned three this past month on the 15th. Its amazing to me how quickly he is morphing into a little boy. Just today I was watching him eat his lunch, and thinking about how much his face has changed in the past few weeks.

For his birthday, we decided to throw a last min party. We had an incredible turn out from family and a few close friends. Its funny because when you throw a party last min, you don't think anyone will be able to come, but people did. It was low key. We met up at a park and had pizza, pop, cake and cupcakes.



Benjamin informed me this year that he wanted a "Fire Truck" birthday cake. So, instead of trying to be creative and getting stressed out about coming up with a design, I looked up ideas on line and came up with an awesome link from Betty Crocker. Against my good judgment, I used the Betty Crocker icing (like the instructions said), and battled cake decorating with runny icing. Might I add our AC was out as well which didn't help. Oh well, next time I will make my Wilton cake decorating icing instead...
It turned out ok, and Benjamin was happy-- so I guess that is all that matters.


We had so much fun, the weather was perfect and the company was amazing. It was such a treat to have all our friends there. It was amazing to us how many people came to wish our little boy a happy birthday! Thanks everyone! Benjamin we love you!

Things Benjamin's Been up to this past month:

Benjamin has Learned...

10 sight words: I,in,play,a,the,dad,have,it,and,if



Benjamin is Working on...


counting 11-20, counting 1 to 1 (I think we will be working on that for a while...), combing letter sounds, tracing/holding a pencil correctly, lots of fine motor activities to help with using scissors and lots of sensory activities :)

most importantly, tip toe walking. Benjamin loves his weekly visits with his occupational therapist Erin. Due to habit and some sensory seeking, Benjamin loves to walk on his tip toes, which is also causing his Achilles Tendon the be tight, so we are working hard on that right now

Some days I get frustrated with Benjamin and feel like my constant efforts are in vain. Most days I feel like a broken record... However, I am starting to see results and that he is learning. I think at this age they have a hard time because they can be so compulsive... but today I saw him starting to make connections.

1) While at lunch he was eating his sandwich and got very excited about playing with his new marble tower toy. He was about to run from the table with food in his hand, and as he's getting off his chair he stops and says to me: "oh.. yeah.." And jumps back on his seat to finish eating his sandwich.

2) Today he was about to torment his sister by grabbing her passey, and pauses, thinks before he does anything and says:"oh, that's Vera's passey."



Benjamin Loves...

gymnastics, school time with mommy and daddy, his baby sister Vera, Tractors and "Diggers," the park.

We love Benjamin so very much! He is such a sweet little boy!

2 comments:

Katie Kennington said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet Benjamin. Wish we could have joined you for the celebration. The firetruck cake looks so cute. Give that sweet little man a kiss for me.

Christina Bassi said...

You make the best cakes!