Thursday, July 8, 2010

The worst parents ever... well, at least that is how we felt this weekend.

So, this past weekend was kind of hard with Benjamin. He was such an emotional wreck. All he wanted was his daddy... and looking back on it, he probably had his ear infection start right about then. Hind sight is always 20-20.
Anyway. Here is a glimpse of what our past weekend was like...Saturday was a pretty good day, however, when Benji woke up from his nap he was a hysterical crying mess. All he wanted was his daddy. Daddy was running errands at costco. So for about 2 hours, I was at home trying to coax a screaming, crying, two year old to watch a movie. Finally Rob came home, and Benjamin wanted his daddy, and only him, so he was outside "helping" rob with Groceries. We live on the 3rd floor of the apartment complex, so Rob was carrying 3 massive loads (maybe took him 10mins to do the whole thing) . Benjamin during this time was still a bit of a mess. While rob was dropping the last load in the kitchen, the front door shuts behind him. Benji is outside the door, crying. As rob Opens the front door to get Benjamin, our neighbor?, (who we have never met nor see before) comes to out door and tells rob " You just can't leave him out here, its not fair to the rest of complex!" She was super ticked. Rob was nice and said "oh...ok." I was kind of irritated. I wanted to say" Don't worry, we'll be having another one in 3 weeks, and I will be sure to walk the halls at 2am when she's crying... because obviously we are trying to make your life awful... But of course I would never say that in real life, and I am also pregnant/hormonal and emotions are kind of raw for me right now.
I am sure that she thinks we are the worst parents ever! I am sure she thought that we just left Benjamin outside to cry this entire time.I'm over it now, but I was a little annoyed because obviously this girl does not have kids, and I think she thought we were trying to ruin her day. ROb's so nice, and later said to me that she might have been having a bad day too--- that is why my husband is a better person than me. Y

Yes, we probably shouldn't have had him outside, but if it was me and I heard a kid crying, (and was annoyed) I would have gone over and asked if everything was ok, and if they needed help.... Anyway...
Well, for the rest of the weekend, both Rob and I felt awful about it and that we were the worst parents ever.

Then Sunday rolls around.... We woke up early enough, had breakfast, and Benjamin was still kind of emotional.

Anyway, We wanted to throw Benji in the bath well before church, so we had B go the bathroom in his potty before he took his bath. (B is fully potty trained now). He does a 1&2, and then jumps in the bath. Rob takes the bath mat out of the dryer and throws it on the ground (All weekend we had been doing last min cleaning. One of the things we washed this weekend was our bath mat. This bath mat is super nice, just a pain to dry in the dryer... it seriously takes several hours to dry its so thick).

B starts freaking out and tries to get out of the tub. Poor kid had an "urgent" #2, but in the tub and couldn't get out fast enough to do it in the potty. So our newly washed & dried mat is suddenly soiled. B is freaking out, b/c he doesn't want #2 on his leg and is running to his potty, hence spreading the mess. Rob, who hardly ever gets stressed out... is stressing out.

I come into the bathroom, and just laugh... I laugh because we have to wash that darn mat, which will take several hours to dry.... again...

I laugh, because when we once had plenty of time to get ready for church, ect, will now be spent cleaning the tub, the floor, re-bathing benjamin and cleaning ALL of his 20 bath toys. this ='s the best sunday morning EVER!
While, Rob is cleaning the tub, I take care of B. Finally I wrestle him into his church clothes and B starts freaking out wanting rob again. Rob is in the bathroom which reeks of bleach. Benji runs away from me into the bathroom, only to rub his sweater vest in the freshly bleached side of the tub. Awesome. Sweater vest, toast.

Needless to say, that was how our entire weekend went.

It left Rob and I thinking that we were the best parents ever... and that we are totally competent and able to have a second child. Really... both Rob and I felt so awful about being parents. Gotta love days like those, because it doesn't matter how hard we try at being good parents, how hard we try to raise kids, we will never be able to do it alone. I am so grateful that we have the help of a loving Heavenly Father to give us the strength and ability to meet the challenges ahead of us. Sometimes I think He's taken a Big chance on us to send his precious children to us. Thankfully, all days are not like this, and He has more confidence in us than we might have in ourselves and our feeble efforts will be magnified in the end!

5 comments:

Katie Kennington said...

Laura, I totally had a week like that last week. You are NOT terrible parents, though Satan would love to have you think that. It is hard but you are right, Heavenly Father knows you are great parents, that is why you are getting another one of his precious spirits sent to your home and your hearts.

Thank you for writing about your hard week. It is nice to know I am not the only one who has weeks like that. I think you did handle it all very well. We love you guys.

Jalei & Lane said...

How rude of your neighbor. I'm like you & would have tried to comfort a crying child. But I just can't believe the way she put it, "not fair to the rest of the complex". Is she serious?! Heartless!

Lindsey said...

Poor you!! I hope you know what wonderful parents you are...and that mean lady makes me so mad! Some people just don't understand.

Bexie Funk said...

i can't stand it when people without kids yell/judge at people with kids. you have no idea what its like. good for you guys for being nice, i don't think i would have been.

Elizabeth said...

I can't believe someone would think you'd actually kick your child out to cry in the hallway! How presumptuous! Seems like you guys had a fun weekend.