*ok, not like I have a ton of time to kill... but I am a little disappointed in how many people have responded Negatively to the final book of hunger games. So, I wanted to give my 2 cents about it.(I've read a lot of blog comments/reviews about it lately)Its ok if you didn't like it, but I just wanted to state publicly what I liked about it, since I haven't seen a lot of people post positive things about it.
* I will try to convey my thoughts without any spoilers. But if you want to be utterly surprised… than don’t read this post.
Personally, when I was done reading it, my first initial reaction was mixed. I wasn’t too sure about how I really felt about it. But after re-reading some parts, and further reflection, I would have to say this is an epic book for Young Adult Fiction.
Granted I like Dystopia stories (the giver, animal farm, etc). They Fascinate me. I love how they force us to reflect on our own society, our relationship with others our responsibilities as human beings and How they force us to question who we really are.
This novel, first of all was not primarily about a love triangle, and If I hear it compared to twilight, I think I’ll barff, because they are not the same kind of stories AT ALL (other than both being Young Adult books). I know we all LOVE a good love triangle, and as exciting as it was in this novel, that's not what this story was about (don't be fooled... I loved the love triangle part). This book was not exclusively about Katniss. It’s really about the society of Panem and it is told through one character, Katiniss.
I love that Suzanne Collins wrote it in first person. Although there are some disadvantages to writing in first person--- such as having limited perspective and information (which can be felt in the third book). However, I think that it was a brilliant method to tell this story and convey her message.
Recently,I read in an interview with suzzane Collins, that she said the last book is what the meat/message of the whole trilogy.
I love that she is encouraging young readers (and us) to think for themselves, to question everything--- what is real and what is not. I love that she forces us to realize how awful war is first hand through Katniss's character. She makes us even hate it--- and if you felt a little depressed at the end, then I think you know what I am talking about!
I love how she communicates How people are never the same after war. I love that she makes us ("slap in the face kind of way")realize that often those who fight on the front lines and the most effected traumatically by war are often the forgotten ones when all is said and done. She reminds us How unglamorous war is… how slow and boring it can be. She makes us consider The role of media, and its influence. I love that she shows The effects of violence on all people.
I could go on and on about how clever she is in communicating her message with her subtext. How our society is so very much Panem in many ways—we love violence for entertainment and fail to see how desensitized we have become to it. Etc.
But alas, I do not have all the time in the world to write a review that would even justify this story. However, I do think this book is epic and one worth reading, re-reading and talking about for a long time.
Maybe some day I can write a review that gives this book justice. Anyway, to sum it up--- I loved it, in a depressing kind of way ☺
6 comments:
Amen sister! I couldn't agree more with your review. I think this book is SO literary and people got tricked into reading it and thinking about it's message because they thought they were going to get a nice dose of pop-fiction like Twilight. I agree--the story isn't about Katniss, it's about Panem, and war, an us, and it's fabulous. A good book is good if it makes you have to THINK about something afterwards, even if it's uncomfortable. Loved it!
Hey, I haven't read this book, but I thought I'd leave my comment on your most recent post.
It's about your kids....holy cute! And I just wanted to observe: I've always looked at Benjamin as such a mix of you and Rob! But wow! Vera is ALL you girl! I'm just starting to see it as she gets older. And what a beautiful little lady she is!!!!
now that I finished mockingjay, I decided to read your post.
personally I was happy with the way the love triangle turned out but I agree with you, this book was truly NOT about that. and that's why my dad likes it too haha (I can't imagine him reading a romance novel). it was a fantastic series, well written (unlike twilight, sorry), and it is a wonderful vehicle for contemplation!
i felt the same way! i was so sad that several people wanted it to be about the love triangle. i'm so glad there are others that loved it b/c i did, and i usually don't like depressing books but i loved it!
I had mixed feelings. I thought it was a great book, and I LOVED all of the questions it brought up and how much it made me think, but something about it just felt a little rushed or unfinished to me, like she was hurrying to get it to her editor or like it wasn't the final copy. I don't know how to explain it! So sorry if it's not coming out right :) But I did like how in the first two she beautifully interwove adventure, politics and romance, and missed some of that in this one--it seems like out of the three, it was just about the politics. I think I would like it as a stand-alone, but after the amazing first two it just seemed to lack a bit, even though I did love this book too. I think though (and we talked about this) that I would've been completely satisfied if she had written just ten more pages at the end of her and her man falling in love again instead of relegating the entire romance to one page. I don't think the whole book needed to be about the romane, and the others weren't either, but just to complete the successful arc of the three books it would've been nice. But at the same time, considering the topic of the book, I don't necessarily think the author wants you to be satisfied at the end, so maybe it's good that I had mixed feelings, LOL :) I want to reread it, too.
@ lindsey, i totally agree with what you said about maybe a few more pages at the end. Especially since both characters changed so much from the first two books. Im re-reading it again with rob and its better than the first time. I still can't get over how sad it is... and I still agree with you about the ending and one thing that my sister and i discussed ws how in the epilogue how removed she is from her kids in a way (or least thats how it seemed) and that was a little bothersome.Thanks again for chatting with me about it:) You are the best!
Post a Comment